(meteorobs) "Thanks", but NO THANKS!

Robert Verish bolidechaser at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 13:58:25 EST 2004

Now that the subject of posts to the List with VIRUS
attachments has been brought up, allow me to warn
those, like myself, that get their messages via the
"Digest-version" - there is no added protection!

The messages in the Digest version have links back to
the Meteorobs server where the virus-attachments are
still residing.
***** DON'T CLICK ON THESE LINKS *****
Especially if the files have extensions such as:
".obj" or ".pip" or ".zip" or ".exe", etc.

As a rule, I refrain from making posts about viruses,
but the current situation appears to have worsen and I
feel it requires a stronger warning.

**** The Netsky virus is very insidious ****
The virus-tainted attachments now come with message
text that falsely assures you that the attachment has
been "scrubbed" and that "No Virus has been found"???
*** DON'T BELIEVE IT - it has NOT been scrubbed!! ***

If you see "++++ Norton AntiVirus - www.symantec.de"
BEWARE - it has NOT really been scanned for viruses!
(The ".de" is your hint that there is something amiss
and may indicate its country of origin.)

I've attached below one of the virus-compromised
messages from the Digest, in order to show an example
of what is being encountered with more increasing
frequency:
[Please do NOT click on any the following links!]