(meteorobs) daylight fireball, NW Indiana

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Wed Oct 13 11:52:23 EDT 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: GeoZay at aol.com
  To: meteorobs at meteorobs.org
  Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 4:46 PM
  Subject: Re: (meteorobs) daylight fireball, NW Indiana

    >>Having seen the image and the story with it, this was not a daylight fireball at
    all but a sunlit aircraft contrail.<<
  >> That object picked up in those peoples yard sure
  >>looked like a fresh meteorite to me...even had a nice
  >> fusion crust.
  >> george zay

  That presumably is the Berthoud meteorite fall in Colorado of last week, and that is a true meteorite indeed (an achondrite according to the first reports and the pictures). It is unrelated to the phenomenon under discussion, which was a sighting from Fort Wayne, Indiana.

  - Marco