(meteorobs) daylight fireball, NW Indiana

Jim Pettit j_e_pettit at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 19:06:40 EDT 2004

 I've watched the video of the supposed NW Indiana 'fireball' several times,
but it only took one viewing to realize it was nothing more than the setting
sun reflecting off a high altitude jet contrail. Contrary to the
videographer's own words, the object was *not* moving at a high rate of
speed; the corner of a building is intermittently visible in the video, and
over the course of many seconds the angular distance between that corner and
the 'meteor' barely increases. Too, the videographer states that when the
object disappeared behind a line of trees, he had time to drive to a nearby
elementary school for a more unobstructed view...hardly consistent with any
meteor fall I've ever seen or heard of. So, onward...