(meteorobs) spectacular meteor recorded

Tony Beresford dberesford at adam.com.au
Tue Oct 19 17:38:33 EDT 2004

At 05:38 20/10/04, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>on October 17, 2004, at 02:06:39 UT, my camera AVIS2 captured one of the most
>spectacular meteors I ever saw. The meteor lasted at least seven (!) seconds and
>left a persistent train that could be traced in subsequent detections for more
>than half an hour. I suppose, it was the re-entry of some man-made object.

Sirko, the last noted re-entry at NASA OIG is that for the upper stage rocket that delivired
the expidition 10 crew to ISS. This is reported as hapenning at 0849UT October 16.
It is supposed to have have happened at 50 degrees S, 159 E, which is in the southern ocean
south of Tasmania. More recent launches for which the decay of lower stages may not
have been published dont look likely sources or are for orbits invisible from
your location.
Tony Beresford