(meteorobs) mpg of a 15s fireball from last April

esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Sat Oct 23 09:23:19 EDT 2004

Hi,

(I do not keep my own webpage. However my son told me where can I put
some data, when asking for this.)

After now dealing with the data of the recent 'strange' fireball
observed by Sirko Molau, I got the idea to put an mpg-animation of the
visually most fine (and also strange) foreball that my fireball camera
has detected (woking since Feb. this year). You can see the name and
time in UT in the file-name.

This is quite different from Sirko's recent because of having no visible
fragmentation. This lasts for as long as about 15 seconds, but seems to
be a meteor not space-debris.

What looks especially odd with this, is the long path after it was at
its brightest.

The star near the beginnig is alpha Auriga.

Two visual sightings were received, that were of help in the analysis.
(The local time here was about two hours past midnight, so there were
not many people outside in the cold winter-weather.)
This arrived at a velocity of somewhere around 12 to 14 km/s from azimut
direction 325 or 326 and about 11 degrees from horizon.

This mpg1 file is quite big, about 2.7 Megabytes.

There are probably some missing frames, but you can see the time
advancing from the VHS-tape recorder's time-counter. (The recording was
started at 19:52 UT.)

The link is:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/olli.lyytinen/fb040408_2357.mpg

Esko