(meteorobs) Three fireball reports, Ohio USA, 2004 October 24, about 23:15 local time

Terrance Gibson TerryGibson at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:06:31 EDT 2004

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3847532/detail.html

Viewer Descriptions Of Flash In Sky
Possible Meteor Spotters E-Mail NBC 4

POSTED: 11:48 am EDT October 25, 2004
UPDATED: 11:57 am EDT October 25, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The following are viewer
e-mails to NBC 4 after they saw a bright flash of
light in the sky Sunday night in Central Ohio.

At 11:20 p.m. over in the sky northeast of
Pataskala Ohio, we just saw a strange flash of
light, it was blue-green, it lit up our street
and then orange smoke (was) in the sky.

I live off of Holt Road in Grove City. As I was
driving home this evening around 11:15 p.m., I
saw a bright flash of light, looked up and saw
what looked to be a streak of fire that quickly
dimmed. At first I thought the flash of light was
lightning, but then I saw the streak in the sky.
I've seen "shooting stars," but this was
extremely bright and I had never seen one
"burning out" so clearly before.

I was on I-270 driving and at approximately 11:18
p.m., I saw what was probably a large meteor that
looked like it was traveling east and lit up the
sky.

My husband and I were driving in Pickerington
toward Baltimore and we saw something amazing in
the sky. It looked like something exploded,
making a white flash, then the entire sky was
glowing bright blue. We saw something that seemed
to be burning, falling in the direction of I-70.
The trail of the object was also glowing orange,
and then it turned to smoke and dissipated.

There was a flash of blue light in the sky, like
an explosion! It was bright enough to light up my
block.

I was laying in bed last night looking out my
bedroom window when I saw the blue light just
beneath the crack in my window shade. It was like
a turquoise-blue light lighting up the sky. The
sight reminded me of a light bulb that had just
burnt out after you turn on the switch except it
was a pretty blue color.

I was on I-71 North last night, maybe 40 minutes
outside of Columbus, when the whole sky lit up a
bluish-green color and then there was a giant
flash of white. It looked like a firework, but my
friend and I knew it was too far away to be a
firework. We thought maybe it was a meteor or
even an alien spacecraft. It was quite beautiful!

I was returning home from a concert sometime
after 11 p.m. last night. As I opened the front
door to my house, suddenly the whole sky seemed
to light up for a brief instant in a bright shade
of blue. I turned around to face the eastern sky,
and I saw in the distance a bright blue ball of
light and a trail of white and yellow "sparks"
emanating from it, streaking across the sky. It
looks like an offshoot from a fireworks display,
only clearly at a much higher altitude than
fireworks -- and no sound. As the "sparks"
trailed off, they left a faint, hazy glowing
trail in the sky for several minutes. I opened
the door and called to my wife to come and see,
but by the time she made it out, the trail had
nearly vanished.

I saw it last night as I was standing out talking
to a friend. It did not "streak across the sky."
It dropped from the sky down.

First of all there was the bright blue flash that
lit up the whole sky area, I was facing slightly
away from it so it was in the edge of my sight
when it exploded, but I turned quickly to it. I
saw something twirling down leaving a glowing
trail like no other meteorite I have ever seen. I
then saw something large drop below it very fast
but not like a meteorite.

The stream was not sparking, it was glowing, as
seen from here. It was obviously glowing residue.
It did not fade away as I have seen all other
meteorites fade. It gradually spread out and the
glowing got dimmer. If you did not know it was
there and looked in the sky you might not see it.
Knowing it was there I kept watching. You could
see the stream slowly spreading out with the
spiraling route seen easier.

At no point did I think, not now do I believe it
was a meteorite, It had the appearance of either
a plane exploding then falling from the sky, Or a
space capsule exploding then falling from the sky
in a swirling motion as some planes do when they
lose control suddenly and crash.

The stream looked like the space capsule that
exploded after take off, and spiraled up, but
this was in reverse.

I saw the light in Galloway. The only reason I
did was because my dogs started going crazy, very
agitated and barking right before it happened and
I got up to put them outside. It looked like a
spotlight from a helicopter it was so bright,
only it was blue.

I am a resident in Athens, Ohio. I saw the light
last night when I was leaving my friend's house
at 11:21 p.m. to be exact. It did undoubtedly
leave the sky bright blue for a split second.
However, it burned, literally, red like it was on
fire and left a trail of smoke behind it. The
smoke lingered in the air for some time after it
disappeared.

I walked outside Sunday onto the porch around
11:15 p.m. and happened to be looking toward the
eastern sky. That's when I saw it the object in
the sky. The sky lit up like a welder's torch and
the entire neighborhood lit up like a silent
flash of lightning. The object was traveling
northeast as it exploded instantly leaving a
broad long trail of glowing embers that remained
visible for nearly 20 seconds. It was a clearly
visible over porch lights and a bright moon. I
consider myself lucky to have seen such a
magnificent show.

I live in southern Ohio, in Jackson County, and I
saw the meteor. It came from the east, lighting
up the sky as it traveled, leaving a long, bright
trail. It disappeared over the northern horizon.
The light was bright enough that the dogs outside
started barking.

The meteor last night provided a little extra
"scare" for me and three of my friends. We had
just gotten out of "The Grudge," a new scary
movie with Sarah Michelle Gellar, and we were all
a little spooked. As we were walking out to our
car there was a sudden booming sound and the
entire sky lit up. We looked up and saw a streak
across the sky. Everyone in the parking lot just
stopped what they were doing and looked up to the
sky. I think everyone got a little Halloween
spook out of the meteor.