(meteorobs) Splitting Perseids?

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Wed Sep 1 09:52:54 EDT 2004

Hello,

 I've recieved a report about a 'splitting' Perseid: a -3m Perseid that
reportedly  broke up into two pieces in mid-flight. And this is not the first
report of a fast meteor breaking up, I think I've also seen some reports of
Leonid meteors breaking up in similar fashion. Has anyone from the list ever
seen a fast meteor shower member break up in this way? I've seen a fairly large
number of Perseids and Leonids, but I've never seen anything like that. Is there
any evidence for such behaviour from video meteors?
Clear skies!
Jure A.