(meteorobs) Mystery cloud observation... eastern Ontario

Tony Beresford dberesford at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 1 11:25:50 EDT 2004

At 00:19 2/09/04, C.L. Hall wrote:
>Fwd from the RASC email list in Canada
>
>- Cathy Hall

Good descriptions Cathy. No fireball though

This was a fuel dump of the centaur stage involved in the NRO-1 launch
from Cape Canaveral earlier (19:17EDT) in the day. It is the usual practice for all Centaur
assisted launches. It happens after spacecraft separation of course. It was
observed and reported by several observers of the Seesat l mailing list; it was
the fuel and oxidizer from a Centaur upper rocket stage being dumped ,on its second orbit
after launch. Being just after nightfall, the cloud of Ice was still sunlit at
that altitude.  I saw the last remains of such a cloud after the Cassini launch,
from my backyard here in Australia, after being alerted by a member of the public.

At least one observer using a 15cm telescope saw both the tumbling Centaur and the payload.
Another videod it. Pictures at http://public.fotki.com/nexstarman/international_space/centaur-fuel-dump.html
Tony Beresford
Adelaide, SA