(meteorobs) Splitting Perseids?

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 11:33:46 EDT 2004

Jure Atanackov <jureatanackov at email.si> wrote:
Hello,

 Has anyone from the list ever
seen a fast meteor shower member break up in this way?

Tentatively, I would say yes, I have.  But only once.  It was during the 1982 or 1983 Perseids.  There was a group of us observing from Palm Bay, Florida with Mark Adams and several of us saw a  +2 or +3 Perseid appear to "split in two" and take off at nearly a 90 degree angle from the original track.  I say tentatively because I agree with Malcolm, it could have been a chance sporadic line up at that same instant.  Sure was startling to see, however. It was like:  Did I really just see that?   The best example I've seen of simultaneous meteors was during the height of the 2002 Leonid storm when eight identical +3 Leonids came shooting out of the radiant at the same instant!  All were going in the same direction and parallel with each other 5 or so degrees apart.  What a morning that was!  Regards, Paul in hurricane magnet Florida