(meteorobs) Splitting Perseids?

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Sep 1 12:52:07 EDT 2004

I saw a "splitting Perseid" in the early '90s. Conditions were lousy so
there were only two observers at our dark site near Edmonton, Russ Sampson
and myself.  We saw few enough meteors that night, but our efforts were
rewarded by this one unforgettable beauty which we were both fortunate
enough to observe. We called it the "Albireo meteor" because it split into
two distinct colours! After the split it had a distinctly orange and blue
components.

It is possible that this meteor was a sporadic, I have no notes and an
imperfect memory, but it did occur on the morning of August 12. regards,
Bruce