(meteorobs) Interesting facts about meteor showers

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Wed Sep 1 21:45:24 EDT 2004

Hi Larry,
We really don't need another explanation since we already have the correct one.

You are right that meteors will appear all over the sky--they do during meteor showers.  BUT they appear to be coming from the direction of the radiant, not directly starting out of the radiant itself.  That is, only if you trace the meteor trails back will you find that they more or less intersect in a small section of the sky, the radiant.

You are also right that the earth will pull the meteoroids toward its center as they approach, BUT that won't be very obvious to a single observer that is able to see only a very small section of the earth's atmosphere.  All the meteors visible from a particular location will be pulled about the same amount and thus still remain parallel to one another in space.  If you could view the meteors from all sides of earth at once you probably would be able to see differences in how they approach.  We simply don't have this opportunity.

Pretty sure we've at least figured this part out about meteors.

    Pete Bias
    Lakeland, FL
    (Charley got us and Frances is coming.  Sheeesh.)