(meteorobs) Fuel dump clouds

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 23:52:27 EDT 2004

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net writes:

<< One of our local astronomy buffs interpreted the thing as a tiny
 undiscovered comet which was passing very close to Earth, thus the
 relatively rapid movement of a degree every few minutes. >>

    When I first saw this fuel-dump cloud on Tuesday night with the unaided
eye, I was immediately struck with how it looked like an oversized version of
Comet IRAS-Iraki-Alcock, which skimmed within 2.9 million miles of Earth in May
1983.  That comet looked, to the unaided eye like a circular patch of light
about 1 or 2 degrees wide with a central condensation.

    Last night's cloud similarly appeared circular and approximately 3 or 4
degrees across, and for a few seconds I was reminded of my view of that
Earth-grazing comet of 21 years ago.

-- joe rao