(meteorobs) RE: splitting meteors.

Nick Martin bonnyton at ednet.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 08:55:46 EDT 2004

I have seen a similar phenomenon with two Leonids in the 2000 where a meteor
shot out at a large angle from a Leonid meteor near the end of the path of
the parent meteor. These were cited in a scientific paper on video
observations of meteors.
Another curiosity I have seen with the 2002 Leonids, seen from Fife in
Scotland, was two meteors where a second train appeared parallell to and
almost simultaneously with the original meteor with only a small separation
of a few arc-minutes between the two trains. Another observer, whose email I
unfortunately lost, also saw possibly the same meteors from Dundee. The
curious thing was that in neither case did I notice a second meteor.
Nick Martin