(meteorobs) Abex image intensifiers

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 09:31:17 EDT 2004

Sirko Molau,

> All in all, I can only recommend this tube. Of course, image-intensified
> cameras are more expensive, less robust and have a shorter life time. However,
> their efficiency is still unbeated, especially away from larger showers.

The Abex tubes do indeed look very good.  I just wish I had one of mind
in operation.  The wide photocathode being particularly useful giving a
wider field and hence much greater rates.  We expected some vignetting
with a small lens.  I also bought a larger lens from abex to capture
fainter meteors and accommodate the beam.   The man behind Abex is very
helpful too.  He let us visit, inspect the tubes and optics before
selecting the ones to buy.

On the prices, Abex does have a selection of tubes with prices to match.
If you don't mind ten or more dead pixels, they are relatively
inexpensive for what they deliver.  Even the ones with just the odd dead
pixel aren't that pricey.

Malcolm Currie