(meteorobs) Observation September 13/14 2004

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 18 11:16:46 EDT 2004

I was out at the Stetsons Flyers field again on the morning of Sept 14
for a short pre-dawn meteor session before heading out to work.  The
skies were beautiful with Orion and the rest of the winter
constellations all the way up.  It was a cool, crisp morning.  The
zodiacal light was visible faintly in the east, along with Venus
rising.  To the northern horizon, a greenish aurora was present but it
was not very active.  Up above, several artificial satellites were seen
zipping by...

I signed on at 4:10am EDT and watched for an hour and a half.  In that
time, I recorded only 12 meteors.  Things were not very active, but I
did plot two candidates for the September Taurids.  The final half hour
was under brightening twilight.

The only meteor worth mentioning was a 20 deg long blue mag +2 sporadic
at 5:12am EDT.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: September 13/14 2004
BEGIN: 0810 UT (0410 EDT)  END: 0945 UT (0545 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 50 m
City & Province: Boundary road, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		KAQ (Kappa Aquarids)___________________________22:12 -07
		ANT (antihelions or Piscids)___________________00:16 +02
		ATR (Aries-Triangulids)________________________02:00 +29
		DAU (Delta Aurigids)___________________________04:08 +47
		NPX (sporadics from north apex)________________05:16 +38
		SPX (sporadics from south apex)________________05:16 +08
		SET (possible September Taurids?)______________?
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_FIELD____Teff__LM____KAQ_ANT_ATR_DAU_NPX_SPX_SET_SPO

0810-0911__0511+16__0.99__6.28___0___1___0___0___1___1___1___5
0911-0945__0554+20__0.56__5.75___0___0___0___0___0___0___1___2

TOTALS:_____________1.55_________0___1___0___0___1___1___2___7 = 12

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked eye limiting
magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_______+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO_____2___2___3___2_____+3.55
ANT_____0___0___1___0_____+4.00
SET_____0___0___1___1_____+4.50

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

Dead time: 1.83 min plots

Breaks (UT): None