(meteorobs) round four enough already

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Thu Sep 30 13:01:25 EDT 2004

We made it through the fourth hurricane all right in Fort Myers.  Once
again, on the weaker and drier south side of Jeanne, but stronger than
Frances.  Sunday morning at the height of it a feeder band looked like
winds at 60 with gusts to 70.  No church, needless to say, but church had
already been called off because the priest was recouping from a hernia
operation.  It's been very dry here since Charley so we needed the meager 2
inches of rain from Jeanne.  No power loss either, and very little new yard
trash.  One new banana bunch survived on the lee side of the house so we
will eat hearty in January.  I didn't expect another one quite this soon.

The week before, the looping remnants of Ivan passed over us with some
beneficial rain before it resurrected in the Gulf of Mexico.  We have been
feeling some battle fatigue over the weather despite getting off quite
easy.  So many people all over are in much worse shape.  It's more than
enough for one season, but we need to get past a couple more months to be
sure something else doesn't come out of the western Caribbean (spawning
site for late season).  Life goes on, and we have no plans to move.  How
could a native of Miami leave Florida?  Conditions change year to year, and
we got a rough combination dealt in 2004.  The last time one state was hit
by four hurricanes in one season was Texas in 1886.

I did look at the interesting photos done by Jim in California.  It looks
like a meteor train to me, from a very short-pathed meteor.  It did not
look like a contrail at all.  Must have been a very nice meteor.

Only one meteor seen recently before dawn a week ago : a slow green  -1m
possible Kappa Aquarid.  It was seen mostly through tree branches on a
casual basis.

Looking forward to seeing some Orionids plus a lunar eclipse.  Weather has
been running clear for a while.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor