(meteorobs) Re: [macstronomy] Origins

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 30 13:39:45 EDT 2004

on 9/30/04 10:17, Duane Deal at deal at mac.com wrote:

> Did anybody catch the Nova special called Origins on PBS?
>
> It will be airing again. Here the next airing will be Sunday at 6:00PM. It was
> pretty good.
> There were a few Macs in there too.
>
> Duane

Duane:
    Yes, I did watch it over two evenings.  Well worth tuning into, if it is
repeated.  One thing I found annoying was the mention of the Tagish Lake
meteorite/fireball recovered in B.C. just across the Yukon Border.  It
mentioned the finder of the fallen meteorites, then said it was shipped to
the Lunar Sample laboratory of NASA for study.  It mentioned that scientists
were sent to the frozen lake to recover more samples.  No mention that these
were Canadian scientists from the University of Calgary and the University
of Western Ontario, Dr. Alan Hildebrand and Dr. Peter Brown.  Both highly
respected planetary  scientists from Canada.  Alan is a planetary geologist
and Peter is a meteor physics expert.  I find it odd that they were not
mentioned as they directed and did most of the recovery work on this.  I did
recognize Alan in a short video clip cutting samples out of the frozen lake
ice but he was not identified.  From the program you would assume that this
was an all American effort!

Ed