(meteorobs) Re: [macstronomy] Origins

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 30 18:31:03 EDT 2004

on 9/30/04 13:20, Kenneth S Baldwin at ksbaldwin at fs.fed.us wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I've got to tell you that when I watched Origins and they started talking
> about the Tagish Lake, I turned (I had been listening) to look for you!
> When they started talking about shipping the pieces to NASA, I thought that
> you might be offended! I also noticed that the network coverage of the
> Olympics was limited to events where U.S. Americans were expected to
> win..... But not all of us see the world that way!!!
>
> Kenneth Baldwin
> Geologist
> US Forest Service

Kenneth:
    As an amateur I was not part of the Tagish Lake recovery team.  This was
headed by Hildebrand and Brown.  I was not offended that the specimen was
sent to NASA for study.  They were setup to do this in a timely fashion as I
understand it.   I do think it disappointing that the team that headed the
recovery project was not mentioned.  I believe that NASA supplied a high
flying U2 aircraft to try and collect airborne samples from the meteor
trail.  This was unsuccessful but worth a try!  By the way, I have a tiny
fragment of the meteorite.  A contaminated sample from a dealer in Alaska.
Ed