(meteorobs) Brilliant Meteor over the Greater NY Area . . .

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Sun Apr 24 22:21:39 EDT 2005

I have received two reports (see below) of a brilliant fireball meteor
which appeared on Sunday evening over the Greater New York Area.

-- joe rao

Hi all,
  Watching TV and facing the southern sky through my patio doors, I
seen a HUGE streak running in a downward horizontal direction towards
the west. Behind it was l-o-n-g fiery trail that was almost greenish
in color. Even my wife looked up and asked what that was. It lasted
for about 2 seconds then disappeared behind the clouds.
  This has got to be the biggest meteor trail I have ever seen!
Picture someone shooting off a 3" or 4" fireworks mortar, but
horizontal and you'll get an idea of what I am talking about. The time
was at 07:49PM today, 4/24/2005. I was in total awe at this
spectacular site! Anyone see or hear about this?

Mike Siniscalchi
msinis at aol.com

Mary and Tom Madigan witnessed a -7th magnitude bolide traveling NE to SW at
approximately 7:45 PM, Sunday, April 24th.  The object was observed from
Medford at an altitude of 30° above the southern horizon, was very bright and
appeared during early twilight (about 5 mins after sunset).  The main body
was a
brilliant green with a dazzling yellow-orange frontal lobe and left a
prominent
vapor trail.  Did anyone else observe this?

Regards,
Tom Madigan, Editor
The Custer Comment
tmadigan at optonline.net