(meteorobs) Lyrid Fireballs

Kim Youmans meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 27 08:32:22 EDT 2005

While I doubt the Sunday NE US event could have been a Lyrid, I don't think
it's being a fireball discounts it from being a Lyrid  (radiant rise, and
the fact that the shower was virtually over are the stronger reasons, IMHO).

The most dramatic "bolide" I've ever witnessed was while observing the
nominal peak of the 1999 Lyrids;  the terminal burst changed the color of
the sky to a dark blue!  The meteor came *directly* from the Lyrid radiant
and was within the path/length rule.

Several others still on the list have reported seeing Lyrid fireballs.

They may be rarer than, say, Perseid fireballs, but the overall rates for
Lyrids are much lower, anyway.  Thus, even if the Lyrids only produce, as
their total output, only a very tiny fraction of fireballs, that's still
enough.  A fireball can be a Lyrid.

Kim Youmans