(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

Paulo Heleno meteoros at sapo.pt
Wed Apr 27 18:20:59 EDT 2005

Bias, Peter V wrote:

>	Question:
>	>What is the object called after a meteoroid has gone thru the meteor phase
>	>and is into the dark phase of flight...and has yet to hit the ground? :O)
>	>George Zay
>
>	Answers:
>	1.  A stealth bomber
>	2.  a falling rock
>	3.  a meteor-might
>	4.  ?
>
>	   Pete Bias

Well...in my interpretation, I still call it a meteoroid...
When a meteoroid enters the atmosphere, it becomes a luminous, and
sometimes audible occurence called meteor. It can hit the ground as a
meteorite or a micrometeorite. But while it travels in the air, in my
opinion it should be called meteoroid. Its the object that originates
the meteor phenomena, or can originate a meteorite

Paulo Heleno
Ediror "Rastos de Luz"
http://rastosdeluz.blogspot.com