(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 18:23:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/27/2005 3:22:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
meteoros at sapo.pt writes:

Bias,  Peter V wrote:

>     Question:
>    >What is the object called after a meteoroid  has gone thru the meteor
phase
>    >and is into the dark  phase of flight...and has yet to hit the ground?
:O)
>     >George Zay
>
>     Answers:
>    1.  A stealth bomber
>     2.  a falling rock
>    3.  a  meteor-might
>    4.  ?
>
>       Pete Bias

Well...in my interpretation, I still call it a  meteoroid...
When a meteoroid enters the atmosphere, it becomes a luminous,  and
sometimes audible occurence called meteor. It can hit the ground as a
meteorite or a micrometeorite. But while it travels in the air, in my
opinion it should be called meteoroid. Its the object that originates
the meteor phenomena, or can originate a meteorite

Paulo  Heleno
Ediror "Rastos de  Luz"
http://rastosdeluz.blogspot.com
---