(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 18:41:25 EDT 2005

>>Well...in my interpretation, I still call it a  meteoroid...<<

Part of the definition of a meteoroid is that it's in outer space in a  solar
orbit of it's own. Once a meteoroid finish producing  the  incandescent light
that we call a meteor, it is too slow to be in solar orbit on  it's own. It's
then under total influence of the earth.

>>When a meteoroid enters the atmosphere, it becomes a luminous, and
sometimes audible occurence called meteor. It can hit the ground as a
meteorite or a micrometeorite. <<

It can by definition become a meteorite...after it hits the ground. Before
hitting the ground though, the object is no longer a meteoroid.

>>But while it travels in the air, in my
opinion it should be  called meteoroid.<<

You can call it a meteoroid, but at this point it doesn't fit the
definition.

>> Its the object that originates
the meteor phenomena, or  can originate a meteorite<<

But after the light phase, the object will no longer be able to produce
another meteor phenomena, but it can a meteorite. I personally think that any
object that survives the light phase and is still falling to the ground, it's
also a meteorite.
George Zay