(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 18:45:14 EDT 2005

>>On the "a little more serious" side, I  would say it  is a meteorite during
the soft landing phase, and loses its  meteoroid  classification the moment
it
begins atmospheric entry (even a case for   "switches from solar to
terrestrial
driving orbit" can be made, at which  point  it goes from meteoroid to
satellite
to meteor to  meteorite...).  If it  doesn't survive, so be it, while it is
alive as a mass and in contact with Earth  it seems hard to argue that  it
isn't
a meteorite to me.  Because the light  indicates it is  already in contact
with
Earth, since when is solid the only  phase to  define a planet's surface.  I
suppose then if it lands in an   ocean, it is a meteoroid until it falls on
the
solid bottom by the logic,  which  I would disagree with in good conversation
-
or shall we get  arbitrary and  accept liquid phase, too .  Some
micrometeorites  probably circulate for  months in the currents...before
going into
solution, and never touch  bottom...<<

Exactly !
GeoZay