(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

Paulo Heleno meteoros at sapo.pt
Wed Apr 27 18:59:53 EDT 2005

GeoZay at aol.com wrote:

>>>Well...in my interpretation, I still call it a  meteoroid...<<
>>>

>Part of the definition of a meteoroid is that it's in outer space in a  solar
>orbit of it's own. Once a meteoroid finish producing  the  incandescent light
>that we call a meteor, it is too slow to be in solar orbit on  it's own. It's
>then under total influence of the earth.
>

>>>When a meteoroid enters the atmosphere, it becomes a luminous, and
>>>

>sometimes audible occurence called meteor. It can hit the ground as a
>meteorite or a micrometeorite. <<
>
>It can by definition become a meteorite...after it hits the ground. Before
>hitting the ground though, the object is no longer a meteoroid.
>

>>>But while it travels in the air, in my
>>>

>opinion it should be  called meteoroid.<<
>
>You can call it a meteoroid, but at this point it doesn't fit the
>definition.
>

>>>Its the object that originates
>>>

>the meteor phenomena, or  can originate a meteorite<<
>
>But after the light phase, the object will no longer be able to produce
>another meteor phenomena, but it can a meteorite. I personally think that any
>object that survives the light phase and is still falling to the ground, it's
>also a meteorite.
>George Zay

Hi George

I understand your point of view, based in the definition of a meteoroid
as an object in outer space.
In that definition, I agree with you. If an object passes the meteor
stage without disapearing, then it will almost certainly its the ground,
so I agree that can be called a meteorite or micrometeorite indeed...I
believe  there are no physical  processes, after  the meteor  phase
that  stop  the object  hitting  in the ground

Paulo Heleno
Editor "Rastos de Luz"
http://rastosdeluz.blogspot.com