(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth gradesciencebook)

Swift, Wesley Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 28 10:59:03 EDT 2005

	I tend to agree, however, this is an argument more about how many
angels can dance on the head of a pin than about 5th grade education.
Science and math education in this country (USA) is a disaster.  Religious
zealots are claiming any science since the old testament is blasphemy and
must be removed from textbooks ... and these zealots claim to be christians.
Hey, Christ came to break those bonds, resulting, ultimately, in the
renaissance and modern western science.  Exploring at God's wonderful
universe cannot be blasphemy!

	Now is the time for all good men (and women) to come to the aid of
their country and show kids the beauties of the world.  For astronomers,
this means the beauties, mysteries and stories of the night sky, including
meteors.   Science IS exploring and the old stories show how ideas change
with each deeper look.

	Show a kid the night sky and, perhaps, a really nice meteor will
drop by.

Wes

        Wesley R. Swift, Jr
     Raytheon ITSS / Sverdrup MSFC Group