(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth gradesciencebook)

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 28 11:17:14 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:59:03AM -0500, Swift, Wesley wrote:

> 	I tend to agree, however, this is an argument more about how many
> angels can dance on the head of a pin than about 5th grade education.
> Science and math education in this country (USA) is a disaster.  Religious
> zealots are claiming any science since the old testament is blasphemy and
> must be removed from textbooks ... and these zealots claim to be christians.
> Hey, Christ came to break those bonds, resulting, ultimately, in the
> renaissance and modern western science.  Exploring at God's wonderful
> universe cannot be blasphemy!

Keep relegion out of it. The Catholics burned Giordano Bruno to the steak in
1600, and put Galileo under house arrest for their modern scientific thoughts.
Some other relgions have much greater tolerence of free thinking then any
Christans do, There is nothing wrong with being an Earth Loving Pagan either.

> 	Now is the time for all good men (and women) to come to the aid of
> their country and show kids the beauties of the world.  For astronomers,
> this means the beauties, mysteries and stories of the night sky, including
> meteors.   Science IS exploring and the old stories show how ideas change
> with each deeper look.
>
> 	Show a kid the night sky and, perhaps, a really nice meteor will
> drop by.

On this I agree. Love Earth and Nature in their own right.

GWG