(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 28 11:33:25 EDT 2005

on 4/28/05 5:39, Skywayinc at aol.com at Skywayinc at aol.com wrote:

> Define what a meteor is.
>
> A meteor is the flash of light . . .
> Caused by a falling meteorite. . .
> As it rushes through the air in flight . . .
> I hope to God this answer's right!
> -- Answer to a question written for an
> Astronomy 101 Final Exam
>
> -- joe rao
> ---

    Not to get too nitpicky, a "meteor" is the light phenomenon created by a
"meteoroid" entering the Earth's upper atmosphere.  The meteoroid does not
cease to be a meteoroid during this light generating  stage as ablation
takes place. It is what is causing the visible light know as a "meteor".
When it ceases to emit light and enters the so called dark stage of the
flight path it is still a meteoroid.  On impact it is called a "meteorite",
not during its flight through the atmosphere.  I wonder if the IAU
nomenclature committee has a different definition?????

My opinion, for what it is worth:

Ed Majden
West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay B.C. CANADA

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm