(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 28 11:55:52 EDT 2005

on 4/28/05 8:37, GeoZay at aol.com at GeoZay at aol.com wrote:

>>> When it ceases to emit light and enters the so  called dark stage of the
> flight path it is still a meteoroid.   <<
>
> Why would it be called a meteoroid then, when all the characteristics of it
> being a meteoroid no longer exists?
> GeoZay

    What characteristics George?  If it is still a surviving object, it is
still in orbit around the Sun, be it a distorted one effected by gravity and
the retardation of the Earth's atmosphere.  Even before it has entered the
atmosphere the orbit of the meteoroid has been altered by the gravitational
effects of the Earth and in some cases other objects it happens to
encounter.

    Since this topic originated with a grade five sciencebook, I think we
are getting far too technical for such a grade level.  Let them be children
and still wish on a falling star!  ;-)

Ed