(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

John Kuehn jkuehn8 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 13:43:03 EDT 2005

I think that most will agree that
1. Any  natural extraterrestrial object that has touched the earth is
considered a METEORITE
2. Any natural object in free space that is smaller than an asteroid is
considered a METEOROID

The contention seems to be during the fall to earth.
When during this atmospheric, ablative period, and post luminescent
/dark period  is it proper to use the generic terminology and call it a
METEOR?

My personal opinion and usage is ALL OF IT.

" HEY Look at that meteor!"
Also as in the term 'METEOR  Shower'.

John Kuehn

62 year old retiree with average eyesight and no
connection with any of the above hardware manufacturers