(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 14:15:40 EDT 2005

En un mensaje con fecha 04/28/2005 12:22:09 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
epmajden at shaw.ca escribe:

What about the meteoroid that skipped out of the
Earth's atmosphere  in 1972?  Is it no longer a meteoroid, as it spent some
time in our  upper atmosphere as a fireball/meteor?  What would you call  it
now?

Meteor refers to an atmospheric phenomenon and can be extended  to the
residue where meteorite is considered more proper by some, the Wyoming  photo shows
a meteor/bolide/fireball - let's not add confusion and accept that  inside the
atmosphere we use those terms, and outside we don't.

To not  call the dark phase while falling a meteor indirectly perpetuates the
concept  that rocks cannot fall from the sky.  To call it a meteorite is fine
too,  as it made it, even if a geologist didn't hear it fall in the woods.

What about the rocks on the surface of Mars?  Are they meteoroids  while they
are on the surface of Mars?  Of course not, but they are  meteoroids before
falling to earth after the ejection of course, lots of Mars  meteorites are
documented recovered.  Meteoroid refers to size (capable of  causing a meteor but
not overkill) and solar orbit (see George) and most  importantly of all
location (see Newton). As it never was captured, just as a  Mars rock leaving Mars
it became a meteoroid (again).  And no one will  argue if you want to call it
a meteor that continued again to be a meteoroid and  never became a meteorite
or meteorwrong.  Or better yet write a book about  it called "The Little
Meteoroid that Could...".  It is about time our kids  can graduate from trains and
planes to wonderful astronomical things...It has  been fifty years since the
Mushroom Planet journies.

What to tell the  kids?
meteoroid: small things in the solar system that are capable of causing
meteors on earth.
meteor: what you see in the sky, what we call meteoroid  after it lights up
in the sky
meteorite: what scientists that study rocks  call the residues of
meteoroids/meteors once they get their hands on  them
"the dark phase": residue, falling rocks, meteors, meteorites, depends  on
who you ask and some latecomers will want to police your language, but feel
free to draw your own conclusions and join the meteorobs list for fun
conversation

Saludos, Doug