(meteorobs) Error Regarding Galileo

Terry Richardson richardsont at cofc.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:36:33 EDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 11:17 AM, George Gliba wrote:

> Keep relegion out of it. The Catholics burned Giordano Bruno to the
> steak in
> 1600, and put Galileo under house arrest for their modern scientific
> thoughts.

George et al.,

Though off topic, I am compelled to make a brief response to correct
the oft repeated misconception that Galileo was persecuted for his
scientific thoughts. (Bruno is a separate and very different issue.)

1. Let me say first I am not Roman Catholic nor am I at all fond of
that branch of the Church.

2. I am a long time member of HAD (the historical division of the
American Astronomical Society).

3. I am fond of the truth.

4. The record clearly shows that Galileo was a jerk and created the
entire mess that resulted in his house arrest (and I will privately
send references those requesting them-it is exam time so be patient).
As one example we have a letter to Galileo from Monsignor Giovanni
Ciampoli in Feb. of 1615 explaining to Galileo that Cardinal Barberini
(the future Pope Urbane VIII) just the day before said how much he
admired Galileo's worth but wanted him to use caution in not exceeding
the limitations of physics and mathematics and in particular to stop
interpreting scripture which was the job of theologians. It was the
interpretation of scripture which got him in trouble.

Clear skies,

Terry Richardson
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston,