(meteorobs) Definition of a meteor (was Re: Fifth grade sciencebook)

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 16:19:27 EDT 2005

>>If in daylight you were lucky enough to see a natural falling  rock
during the non ablative /dark period, I would still contend that is
still is a meteor<<

You would be contending wrong then. A meteor is simply the light  phenomena
caused by a meteoroid. When the light goes out, the meteor phenomena  no longer
exists.

>>Unless the definition of meteor expressly  REQUIRES that the object be
self exo- luminescent. Then I would have to  ask at what wavelength and
what level above ambient ..... The nits... and  the nitwits, their
everywhere.<<

A meteor is not an object...It is the light given off  by ionized atoms from
mostly atmospheric molecules and some parts of the  meteoroid itself.

>>I would imply that, it is the MOTION that is  inferred by the term meteor
and that it has an additional characteristic  in that it MAY emit light
during its meteoric fall to earth.<<

You should imply that it is the light emitted mostly by air  molecules.

>>I would leave it to the experts/nit pickers to  specify EXACTLY what
point the  non captured, free flying,  meteoroid's orbit   becomes
entangled by the geo- gravitational  field and commences it's Meteoric
fall to earth, with all of the possible  dark and light segments of that
journey. <<

If I'm reading you right, the point of retardation is a good point to say
you have a meteorite if there's anything left of the original meteoroid. The
point of retardation is the point where the light appears to go out.

>>If standing or lying on the earth and are struck by a non  luminescent
natural falling object, would you say you have been struck by  a meteor,
meteorite, or meteoroid  or just ouch?<<

a meteorite.
GeoZay