(meteorobs) Fw: Fireball Report July31/05; approx 1:20 am PDT, Bend, Oregon

Mark Davis meteors at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 20:24:53 EDT 2005

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn at namnmeteors.org>
Subject: Fireball Report July31/05; approx 1:20 am PDT, Bend, Oregon
Date:    Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:12:01 +0000

----
Your Town/State/Country? Sunriver, OR, USA

Date and Time? July31/05; approx 1:20 am PDT

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? South

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? flash

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 2

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  50

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? flash

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  full moon

Did it have any color(s)? no

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  singular large flash

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  no movement, only huge flash

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  5

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  no

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  Bend, Oregon

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a point of light become bright; I
turned,
expected to see something like an Iridium flare. Instead, it was immediately
huge, white bright flash - like an old flash camera.  The flash had 4
distinct
corners, it was a square, not circular.  The light as bright as a full moon;
the flash's square shape was so large it easily filled a quarter of the
night sky.
Might this have been a head-on meteor I observed?  No sound, no smell,
nothing
afterward discernible.  Clear night, no telescope, naked eye obsevation.