(meteorobs) a couple of quick questions

Terry Richardson richardsont at cofc.edu
Wed Aug 3 07:12:14 EDT 2005

Arlene et al,

All of us had to start somewhere with our meteor observing. I knew a
lot of technical and theoretical astronomy when I joined this group but
almost nothing about meteors. Picked most of it up from the experts
like Geo Zay, Robert Lunsford, and  Mark Davis. The meteorbs list serve
is one of the best around.

Indeed if you say a Perseids at the early hour it would have likely
been a long trail with the radiant very low at that time. And double
meteors mean two particles in parallel orbits so they enter the Earth's
atmosphere at the same time. I saw a terrific triple meteor during the
Perseids of 1980. Now this meteor may or may not have been a Persied
depending on whether its path traced back to the radiant.

Clear skies,

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston