(meteorobs) Re: Dust trail of 45P

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Wed Aug 3 15:16:11 EDT 2005

Hello, Jeremie,

Many thanks for this formula and the links. Using values of density
Pho=1 g/cm^3, entry velocity V=69000 m/s and magnitude Mv=0 mag. I
got diameter value d=3.5 mm. For 6 mag. d is 0.5 mm. That lies very
good in line with the previous answers.

Best regards, Mikhail

v> Hello you all,

v> First of all, congratulation to Mikiya Sato for the computation!

v> Now to answer Mikhail, I personnaly use to Hughes'formula (1995, Earth,
v> Moon and Planets, v. 68, p. 31-70.)

v> You can find the paper at:

v> http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1995EM%26P...68...31H&db_key=AST&data_type=HTML&format=&high=42c2e2305f02069
v> or
v> http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1995EM%26P...68...31H&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

v> here is the formula converted in International System anyway:

v> log(m)=14.7-4.0*log(V)-0.4*Mv

v> with:
v> -m: mass of the meteoroid in kg
v> -V: entry velocity in m/s
v> -Mv: visual magnitude of the meteor

v> This gives you ~mm size particles if I remember well...

v> Jeremie