(meteorobs) Meteor Observation Tracking Tool Beta

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Sat Aug 6 08:21:06 EDT 2005

Hello, Al and all,

It's a great idea to create the online meteor observing base. I
appreciate it very much. I think, it could be developed to broad bank
of archive data useful for various studies.
I tried to do something with the page you linked, but could create no
login. I constantly have the message "The password you entered does
not match". Perhaps, it's one of bugs you mentioned.
Nevertheless, I have some considerations on this base.
First of all, the process of entering data should be easy. I think,
these is no necessity to restrict to AMS format. For example, I use
IMO format as the base of my reports. So I'd have to double my reports
in both formats. Probably, format of reports should be free, as on
Meteorobs. I have a version, how it could be done. (I didn't see the
form, reasons are above, so I don't know how close to my proposals it
is). The form should have several text fields, containing main
attributes of report - such as "Name", "Year", "Month", "Day",
"Begin/End Time". They would be used in the search. I think, ideally
the base should be able to give out observations during some time
intervals searcher is interested in. To search for the results of
individual observers (number of observing hours, meteors seen, etc.)
some attribute fields could be created, although, IMHO, this personal
information is less important, than overall data. And the second part
of the form - a large text field, in which reports could be copied or
written as they are compiled by observers. It would be nice to see not
only current reports, but also from previous years and, considering
large amounts of such reports, they should be entered quickly and
easily.

Best regards, Mikhail Maslov