(meteorobs) Size of radiant?

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Sun Aug 7 03:56:26 EDT 2005

From: "Robert J. Gardner" <rendrag at earthlink.net>
To: "Meteor observors" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:40 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Size of radiant?

> How far from the nominal radiant could one expect to see a member of a
> typical shower? Would ten or fifteen degrees from the nominal radiant be
> beyond expectation or unreasonable for some showers?

The better distance for to see meteors from a radiant it's between
30°-45° from it and this it's for all meteor showers, naturally we
must see 30-45° from radiant and TOO in the our highest direction
toward the zenith, then or we change a little our field during the
observation or before we calculate the better area for our field.
If possibile the field it must not to be accross the Milk Way,
we can lost the little meteors.
Some radiants are so near to the Sun that it cannot possibile to be
observed following this directives, expecially the Arietids of June
the Zeta Perseids of June, and partially too the Leonids, the
Aquarids for the Nothern Hemisphere, ect.
Roberto Gorelli

P.S.: radiant size, some radiant have 10° x 15° then we must remind
this when we choise the field.