(meteorobs) Re: AMS Meteor form

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 22:26:09 EDT 2005

Al and All,

There are two sets of forms available on the AMS website
http://www.amsmeteors.org/visual.html#forms  Accuracy is listed on the basic
form. On the advanced form Accuracy is replaced with DCV (Distance Central
Vision). Whether a meteor is plotted or simply counted, the DCV can help us
judge how well one saw it. DCV has come in and out of fashion with the
times. I feel it is interesting to calculate your personal DCV for each
magnitude and one will often find some interesting results. One surprising
result for me was that for zero magnitude meteors my mean DCV was 50
degrees. I never would have guessed that it was that large. Of course
fainter meteors were seen much closer to the center of my field of view.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford