(meteorobs) Submitting meteor observing reports

meteorsga at bellsouth.net meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 9 12:43:15 EDT 2005

Al,
       In order to have a report logged by the AMS it is required (now) that you submit it to the AMS.  Merely posting it to a public list (i.e. Meteorobs) will not be sufficient (with the exceptions of AMS members) as we do not accept the liability of publishing unsolicited material.

        Bob (much over-worked) is no longer the person to send reports to:  I am.  I have been the AMS Visual Coordinator for the past three years.  If you want the AMS to log and publish your reports then you can CC: my e-mail address when you post your reports to Meteorobs.

         Much of the reason for this is simply to avoid redundancy:  Mark Davis and Rainer Arlt already "harvest" reports from the list, thus it makes little sense for the AMS to do the same --*with the exception of our members* and those who *wish*  to have their reports archived and published by the AMS.  Right now, a primary AMS goal in collecting observer reports is in seeing that the IMO doesn't miss anything, i.e. non-meteorobs reports that may not have been sent to the IMO but which were sent to the AMS.

         I'm happy to have this chance to make this remark to ALL non-AMS members who have been having their reports logged in the past -- you must now make the effort to request the AMS log and publish your reports if you want them archived and published by the AMS.

         Other information on report submittal (e.g. snail mail, etc) can be found at the AMS website   www.amsmeteors.org

Kim Youmans
AMS Visual Coordinator
meteorsga at bellsouth.net