(meteorobs) 2005 Perseid rate outlook

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Thu Aug 11 17:21:59 EDT 2005

This is the year that I expect to see more than 60 Perseids/hour.  America
should be under the region of best rates, going by the scheme I have had in
progress since 1969.  Every 4th year is best since the highest rates are
concentrated within a few hours.

Joan and I are going to spend the night in Lehigh Acres with a friend,
Robert E Riefer, who has a good view from his front yard.  We plan on
observing roughly 2am to nearly 6am local time.  Typical afternoon
thundershowers are present right now but should clear out for the prime
observing hours.

Hope folks elsewhere in nearby time zones can see the Perseids this
year.  It should be a real treat for a change.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society