(meteorobs) Perseids in San Diego

josephasmus at cox.net josephasmus at cox.net
Fri Aug 12 06:05:37 EDT 2005

HGreetings to all Perseid enthusiasts,
My first night was a success.  I to met up with Bob Lunsford and Pete Gural and did some observing in under our usual clear 6.0 SoCal mountain skies... conditions were excellent... I observed from 1100PM-0200AM local time (PST).  A quick count of my ,eteor counts reveal a total number of 30-35 an hour (SPO and PER combined).  Some nice bright Perseids as well.. several negative magnitude shower members..I think the brighest one I saw was -3.  Pete and Bob had 4 digital video cameras running... it will be interesting to see what they captured.

I look forward to meeting up with Bob and Pete again tomorrow night for all night observing.  Pete G. had some great stories about his being in Mongolia for the Leonid fireball outburst and about his particiation in many fascinating NASA projects

They are still up there observing and recording, while I am home ready to go to bed... work beckons tomorrow morning..  Tommorrow I will post my formal results (visual data collected in 10-min bins).

That is akll for now, I hear my bed calling my name :-)

Happy observing to all!

Joseph Assmus
San Diego, CA