(meteorobs) Re: [RASCals] Perseids - got one!

Kim Hay kimhay at kingston.net
Fri Aug 12 08:10:17 EDT 2005

On 12 Aug 2005 at 3:21, Joe Carr wrote:

Hi Joe,

> I joined seven other RASCALs at our Jane's Farm location in Central
> Saanich to observe the Perseids here on southern Vancouver Island.
> Between 10pm and midnight we observed an average of 10-20 meteors per

Very fortunate for you and the group.

As our Friday morning gave way to larger cumulous clouds, though I
was able to do solar observing ( a new spot has come on), the clouds
got thicker.  As we were going to give a Girl Guide talk that evening
with hopefully some observing and some Persieds , those hopes were
dashed.

By 7:00 pm the sky was totally socked in, you could see a faint glow
from the sun behind the clouds.

The talk proceeded with 35 guides and a longer inside demonstation
took place.

Hoping on the way home for some clearing......nothing, not one
Persied, not one clear spot in the sky.  I kept checking all night,
and nothing, total cloud bank ensued and it is continuing today.

Earlier in the week, when we were on an observing run, we did see
early Persieds, but found that there were more before midnight than
after, when meteors are typically better.

Well, one can only wait for the next set of  Meteor shower's show up
in October, the Draconids	Oct 06- Oct 10 and the Orionids	Oct 02- Nov
07.

I am sure we will get to see a few more Persieds, but it would be
nice to see them on the eve of the peak.

till later, clear skies, and keep looking up

Kim Hay
Starlight Cascade Observatory
44.3775N   76.7633W  144m
http://www.starlightcascade.ca/