(meteorobs) Perseid Meteors

David Stine david at exposquare.com
Sat Aug 13 20:17:54 EDT 2005

For a change we had beautiful clear and dark skies over Tulsa, OKla. At
our Astronomy Club of Tulsa observatory  the evening of August 11th and
12th.  The skies were better than I have seen at our site in a long
time. The Milky way was very awe inspiring and objects such as the
Lagoon just jumped out at you while viewing with only your eyes.  The
Perseids this year, I felt were not as good as last year.  Last year you
didn't have long lulls where there weren't any, but this year there were
times as long as 20 minutes where there was no activity.  But what kept
this years Perseids still above average was the spurts where you would
have 5-8 in less than a minute and one time I think I saw 3 within a few
seconds.  Another reason why I thought the shower was above your average
shower was the consistent trains that the Perseid's produced.  Most of
the ones I saw had trains and some would remain a few seconds.  There
was one Perseid, where I missed the entire meteor as people were
shouting and going crazy, that I still had enough time to turn around
and see the train still in the sky where the meteor was and I watched it
for at least 4 seconds before it disappeared, reminded me of the the
Leonid Fireballs.  We had over 50 people at our observatory watching the
event and most were not disappointed.  A group of students from Oral
Roberts University were the most amazed people there, some of them their
first meteor shower.  It was a great night for all. I was hoping for two
nights in a row, but I guess I was asking for too much as clouds rolled
in Friday afternoon and completely wiped Tulsa out Friday night and
Saturday morning,  but I guess I should be happy as I know from the
reports that have come in that some of you were clouded out both nights.
Here is my report.
--
Observer:  David Stine (Comet-1)