(meteorobs) Perseids from Central Virginia (11/12 August & August 12/13)

Martinez, Felix fmartinez at nelson.k12.va.us
Wed Aug 17 14:08:17 EDT 2005

Below are the remaining reports from the two Perseid Max nights:

Date - 11/12 August 2005
Location - Eastern Side of Elon, Virginia (Latitude: 3731N/Longitude: 07911W) and Blue Ridge Parkway (just 1.25 miles N of Otter Creek Campground)
Observing Period ~ 0300 - 0610 UT &  0655 - 0745 UT
[Meteors Seen] - 33 Total

0300-0310 UT (Casual Observing)              1 Perseid (Magnitude 4.0)

0310-0410 UT     3  Per      1 Kap Cyg        LM 5.5; Teff of 55 minutes

0410-0510 UT     4 Per                              LM 5.5-5.3; Teff  of 58 minutes (haze and upper clouds quite prevalent)

0510-0610 UT    12 Per                             LM 5.3-5.0; Teff of 58 minutes (haze and clouds more prevalent)

FOG covered us at 0620!!    Therefore, I took off for higher elevation (drove up to Blue Ridge Parkway - about 20 minutes to the west)

0620-0655 UT (Casually observed)                  2 Perseids

0655-0700 UT (Casually observed)                  2 Perseids                    LM 6.0

0700-0710 UT     6 Per                                     LM 6.0+

0710-0740 UT     2 Per                  (No meteors seen between 0710 and 0730!!/ by 0740 LM only 5.5 and Observing Hole decreases as Fog caught up with me!)

Comments - Did not have a good night of observing as conditions were not very consistent.  Enjoyed the company of my wife & children, along with some friends while still observing in Elon.  Made the 20 minute trek up to the Blue Ridge Parkway on my own.  Brightest Perseid seen was a -1 that was green.)

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date - 12/13 August 2005
Location -  Eastern Side of Elon, Virginia (Latitude: 3731N/Longitude: 07911W)
Observing Period ~ 0310 - 0905 UT
[Meteors Seen] - 90 Total

0310-0410 UT     5 Per       1 Alp Cap       1 Kap Cyg       2 Spor          LM 6.0; Teff of 55 minutes

0410-0510 UT     8 Per       2 Alp Cap       2 Kap Cyg       1 Spor          LM 6.0+; Teff of 55 minutes

0510-0610 UT     11 Per                                                                    LM 6.0+; Teff of 55 minutes

0610-0700 UT     14 Per      1 PA?            2 Kap Cyg                          LM 6.0 - 4.0; Teff of 45 minutes (fogged in before 0700)

0715-0735 UT (Casual Observing)       4 Per                     1 Spor         LM 5.2; fog slowly clearing

0735-0750 UT     4 Per                                                                     LM 5.5-5.8 as fog continues to clear

0755-0810 UT     13 Per                                                                   LM 6.0; Teff of 15 minutes

0810-0905 UT     14 Per       1 NDA                           3 Spor              LM 6.0-5.5; Teff of 45 minutes

Comments - Even with numerous interruptions (observing with a group of 21 Folks from my Family & Church - they had questions from time to time), goodly amount of meteors to see and enjoy!  This turned out to be a better night than the previous one.  Even saw a -3 Perseid at 0612 UT.  It was Orange-Yellow with a three- second train.  Saw it drop low into NW Sky, which means that observers in West Virginia would have had an excellent look at that one - higher overhead!!)

Did not get out to observe 13/14 August like I had planned - way too much haze in the sky.

                                                                            In Astronomical Affinity - Felix