(meteorobs) Observing report from Woodstock, IL 2005-08-01

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 20:11:02 EDT 2005

>>Observer:Al Degutis  Date: 2005-08-01 Begin: 08:10   End: 09:10
Location: Stargate Observing Deck -  Woodstock, IL   Latitude: 42° 22' 0"
Longitude: -88°  29' 0"   Elevation: 282 meters   Limiting Magnitude: 4.5 @
08:10
Direction Facing & Altitude: E 60° @ 08:15 E  75° @ 08:45   Percent
Clouds:   Sky Conditions:   Seeing average 3/5 @ 08:15
Transparency  poor 2/10 @ 00:00  <<

Al, I noticed your Limiting Magnitude for this observation to be 4.5. I  hate
to say it, but recording meteor data with an LM under 5.0 is almost  useless
for study purposes. I doubt IMO will use any meteor data gathered  under skies
brighter than 5.0.  The reason is that the lower your LM is,  the more
inaccuracies in the data will be introduced for things such as ZHR  and population
index. If I thought I was gonna have an LM under 5.0, I'd  either move to
darker skies if available and/or look towards a darker part of  the sky...away from
moon interference as well as city lights. Here's something  to think about
for the Perseids:

With LM = 4.0
expect about 10 meteors seen

With LM = 5.0