(meteorobs) Re: Visual Plotting

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 20:29:27 EDT 2005

youmans>> This is important, as I have witnessed three  *experienced*
observers plot
the same meteor (myself being one of the  three)-- a bright -2 with a long
path length -- differently.  Not  *too* differently, but  with such a long
path length, more error  will creep in, and establishing a radiant would be
quite  difficult.<<

Believe it or not, very short meteors near the radiant can easily be  aligned
off more than realized. Just a little bit off with the alignment that  close
to a radiant and you are far off with the radiant.

Ed>>  I agree with Kim.  We used Dominion  Observatory Sterographic Projection
Meteor Plotting Charts back in the  1950's.  See: Meteor Science and
Engineering by McKinley, Fig. 3-2 on  page 49 in my hard cover edition.
Errors did creep in.  Only very  experienced observers with high familiarity
with star positions came close to  good plots.  It would be an interesting
experiment to check plot  positions against a guided photo of the same meteor
track.  The visual  track would of course be longer because the eye is more
sensitive than  film. <<

I've actually done this and there are more error than realized, even when a
bright meteor occurs directly in front of you. During the years I observed and
 made many plots, I'd run two guided cameras at the same time. I'd always
compare  my plot with the photographs when I get them. I'm always close, but not
as close  as my plotting confidence indicates I should be. I suspect this to
be the same  for everyone. I feel very confident with my star/constellation
familiarity. I  always used a dark two foot cord, ready to align with the meteor
trail to aid in  getting a fix.
George Zay