(meteorobs) Re: meteor showers

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Thu Aug 18 15:28:45 EDT 2005

Gilles and All,

Everything in space is in motion. Particles such as meteors may be in orbit
in any direction at various velocities. The angle at which it encounters the
Earth has a great deal to do with the velocity that we see it move through
the sky. Meteors moving in the same direction as the Earth will appear to be
moving much slower than those encountering the Earth in the opposite
direction. It may be interesting to know, for the most part, that at dusk
all the meteors you see are catching up to the Earth. Those seen at dawn are
colliding with Earth head-on and will usually appear to move swiftly. At
midnight you can see a combination of the two, radiants in the west
producing slow meteors and those in the east producing swift ones.

I hope this helps!

Robert Lunsford