(meteorobs) Perseids from Switzerland

Geert Barentsen geert at barentsen.be
Wed Aug 24 11:43:00 EDT 2005

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your mail. I will demo my ZHR machinery at the IMC. The analysis
is done with functions inside a PostgreSQL-database, largely based on
Rainer Arlt's article in the 2004 IMC proceedings.

You are right about the high ZHR's. Our limiting magnitudes have been
systematically underestimated for the past 10 year. I have wondered about
this a lot because we do everything right (e.g. count in at least 3 or 4
fields, make sure the fields are at sufficient elevation, take Lm-gaps and
negative outliers into account, etc...)

My best guess is that our Lm's would be higher if we practiced more under
really good skies. We mainly observe in the vicinity of Antwerp, Belgium,
where skies are _extremely_ poor. We could do a test at the IMC.

Geert