(meteorobs) Video meteors from Italy the 10-11/8/2005

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Fri Aug 26 04:11:47 EDT 2005

Karl Antier wrote:
> Hi all meteor observers !
>
> Just one or two questions...
>

>> 1 Per have had trail (14,3 %) and 2 Spor (20,9 %).
>

> I think that I once anaged to make the difference between a train and a trail.
> But I'm not so sure now that my definition of trail is the good one... So what
 > are the differences between a train and a trail. Trains are often reported, but
 >  trails are more rare.Why ?

Hi Karl,

The trail usually refers to the actual meteor, the train to the persistent train
sometimes visible after the meteor has been gone. But some people mix it up, and
some call a persistent train a "smoke trail". So whenever someone mentions
trails, he presumably means trains in the sense of the meanings described above.
Note that there is no "good or wrong" here, as there is no established
nomenclature as far as I know.

> And the second part of the mail : does anyone know a website where one could
> find the future previsions for atmospheric reentries, and mainly the past ones ?

I assume you mean re-entries of satellites here. You can find such predictions
as well as past decays on the Space-Track website of Strategic Space Command of
US defense: www.space-track.org. It gives tracking info on all objects (over
8000) in earth orbit tracked by US defense radar and optical tracking stations.
It requires that you register for an account that has to be approved by SSC, but
if you have no history of being in an Afghanistan training camp you probably
will be approved.  ;-)
Note that they have rather strict rules on dissemination of the data.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
  -  SatTrackCam Leiden, Cospar station 4352
  -  Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)

Leiden, the Netherlands, 52.15894 N, 4.48883 E (WGS84), +5 m ASL

Website: http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/satcam.html
Station (b)log: http://sattrackcam.blogspot.com
DMS website: http://www.dmsweb.org
e-mail: meteorites at dmsweb.org